It all started with me getting my sewing machine out to brush up on my sewing skills before attempting to teach a good friend how to sew. Well 3 separate days of snow and a few sniffly kids kept us from getting together, and well my sewing machine was out, so I kept on sewing. The kids and I all have blue matching mushroom flannel pajama pants now, I’m almost done with converting an old dress shirt of Mark’s into a toddler dress, but most importantly, I have a new purse. I used a thick fabric leftover from covering our ottomans for the exterior, some scraps from a quilt and a floral square I had on hand for the interior. It’s all machine washable, which is so important these days, heck I already poured a bag of Doritos inside and it’s only been a week. I didn’t follow a pattern, just found a picture online of a shape I liked and winged it. Surprisingly it turned out without any mistakes. (I’m not going to tell you how many seams I ripped out for the pajama pants, or that one of my pockets is too small to fit my hand in so I cut them out too…) So pleased to have a new bag big enough for a diaper, wipes, and snacks, and squishable enough to shove in a diaper bag for longer outings.
My favorite part about making my own purse is how I can completely customize the pockets on the inside. I added a zipper pocket, a phone pocket, a gum pocket, a spot for a pen, and a larger pocket for whatever else I want to quickly find instead of rummage around the bottom for.
I made the strap adjustable because I like wearing it over one shoulder. This was also my first time putting in a magnetic closure, and it was really easy once I went back to the store for some heavy interfacing. I just love the detail on the front too, I used some bright green thread for accent.
Oh, forgot to show the pj pants, here’s a couple shots. Mickey Mouse and a truck insisted on being in the photo too. And yes the baby’s toes are painted pink, no she’s not thrilled about it anymore, but she’s even more against the remover…