We bought our kitchen chairs from At Home several years ago, and while we are happy with how they have held up structurally, their wood veneer finish is getting pretty scratched up. We decided to give chalk paint a try after seeing some chairs from the Magnolia Home brand at Nebraska Furniture Mart. If you’re not familiar with chalk paint, its not chalkboard paint. It’s a matte finish furniture paint that gets a coat of wax on top to seal it. It’s low odor, dries to the touch in about 15 minutes, and is super easy to clean up with soap and water.
Our kids heard of our plans and insisted we paint their chairs first, one orange and one red. At the time I wasn’t thrilled with painting their chairs because they didn’t need it, but in retrospect I’m glad we did, because it gave us a chance to test out a brand of paint and get an idea of how to do it well, okay, really how not to do it. We ordered some 8 oz Americana Decor paint off amazon, and used a cheap kids brush to paint it on, and an old tshirt to wipe the wax on top after. We painted outside which was a bad idea, because in the heat of Texas summers, the paint dried too quickly and didn’t go on a smoothly as we hoped. We used the entire 8oz of paint for each chair, and about 1/4 of the jar of wax.
So fast forward to our grown up kitchen chairs. We were having difficulty finding the color we wanted in stores, and stumbled upon this valspar brand chalk paint in Lowes. It is tintable, which means as long as they had one can in stock, they can color it in the store to any of the 40 colors they have calculated. I think ours was called Top Hat, it’s the dark brown. This paint went on SO much smoother! We used this round brush which was totally worth the $9. We used about 3/4 of the 29 oz can to paint 4 kithcen chairs and 2 additional kids chairs (I’ll get to those in a minute). Lowes was sold out of the corresponding valspar sealing wax, so we used the Americana Decor brand and it seemed to work fine. This time around, we used the same round brush to paint on the wax, and then a small piece of a microfiber rag from walmart to wipe off the excess. It was a much better paint and the can went further.
Then we realized how sad these preschool chairs were looking:
And threw a coat on them as well.
We sanded the edges a bit after the paint and before the wax, I like this look on their little chairs but am glad we left ours solid paint.
Overall this was a pretty easy project. Each chair got 2 coats of paint but with as fast as it dries, it wasn’t too time intensive. We did one coat of wax, and put a second coat on the seats to help protect them. I love that it was so easy to clean, so quick to dry, and didn’t smell at all. Might be dangerous now that I know how easy it is…